Monday, March 27, 2017

Week 11: Reclaiming conversation – Part 1

Sherry Turkle, in the first half of her book Reclaiming conversation, talks about how media is bringing people to be “pro-conversation,” but less sentimental. Turkle provides an insightful observation of the current situation, which I could all relate to. I have an experience of following the rule of two or three in the gathering of friends. Sometimes, my close friend and I would just sit together at a café, each browsing our own social media newsfeed, and constantly sharing funny things each found. At times, I wonder what we would talk about if we don’t have our phones in hands. I would be dumbfounded and would try to pull a topic from some book about communication, such as Good skills in conversation (For some reason, books that formulate a systematic conversation skills are popular in Korea). The key reason behind the current phenomenon, which conversation transferred from face-to-face human medium to digital media, is because of the digital media’s always-connected characteristic.
In the law of supply and demand, surplus means the product or service is going to be low value. Water was once a resource people were indifferent about. It became valuable when people realized fresh water is not going to last forever. As Turkle briefly mentioned in a book, people to go virtual world because it is predictable and the users are capable of doing anything. In the virtual world, users fight a giant monster, jump over a deep crevice, or still a helicopter. They do these crazy things that can’t be done in the real world because the life in a virtual world is infinite. The value of life gets cheap when it is endless. Likewise, the value of conversation is getting cheaper because digital media allows people to have conversation anytime, anywhere. The opportunity to communicate with people became so abundant it is not appreciated anymore. We chat with friends on digital media when we are with family. Then, we send text to family members when we are with friends. The time physically spent together, which was valued as a time to have conversation, is now less valued as well.

The problem with abundant opportunity to communicate is that it will slowly diminish the attitude toward conversation itself. People feel face-to-face conversation isn’t as valuable as before. Turkle says people are at least pro-conversation on digital media. This, however, can change within time. Product life cycle theory suggests that a new product develops stages of introduction, growth, maturity, and decline. People will begin to lose interest in digital conversation as time pass. I remember the time when I first used the mobile texting system. I was full of excitement and expectations. I also remember the first time I posted something on my facebook wall. I was again, so excited and amazed to see my friends commenting beneath my post and to get notifications. Getting an IM app on a mobile devise was an interesting moment as well. The feature that let users know if the other person read the message or not, and if they are typing their response was mind-blowing. The features, which were once so magnificent, are now nothing but annoyance. It stresses me that people know when I received their message. People’s expectation of my instant response (because digital media allows me to make instant response, and others know I have one!!) also becomes a burden. Because I know I can always comeback to a conversation whenever I want to, I started to procrastinate on my responses. Like the decreased value of conversation on physical contact, the conversation on digital media was pushed back on my priority list. One of the problems that arose in Korea was that bosses would send work related text anytime, even during the night or on weekends, because ubiquity allows them to. The ubiquitous conversation that finds me any time and space, however, is annoying. Unlike the previous reading materials that focused on benefits of always connected media, Turkle points out negative aspect of digital media, and I agree with her. The novelty of digital conversation will fade with time, and the diminished value of conversation in general will only left alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment